Sunday, December 9, 2007

My First Whole Roasted Chicken!




Chicken is a popular dish on our dinner menu. There are so many ways you can make chicken, and I love it's versatility. Most of the time we have some version of the chicken breast. We often have it baked, sauteed, fried, in in some type of sauce. I have always wanted to try to roast a whole chicken but never did because I thought it would be too difficult or because I didn't have the time. Now that classes are over for the semester, I have more time to cook, so I thought it was finally time to try a whole chicken. This chicken came out so tender and moist. The chicken really absorbed the flavors of the rub. David said this was one of the best meals I've ever cooked for him. He had the idea of cooking rice in the pan drippings. We used 2/3 cup rice, about a cup of pan drippings, and about 1 1/2 cups water and cooked the rice until it was done. I got the ideas for the rub from allrecipes. Here is my recipe:

Rotisserie Chicken:
4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 onion, quartered
2 cloves fresh garlic

In a small bowl, mix together spices.
Remove and discard giblets from chicken. Rinse chicken cavity, and pat dry with a paper towel. Rub chicken inside and out with spice mixture. Place in resealable bag. Refrigerate at least 4 to 6 hours, or overnight.
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Place chicken on a roasting pan. Bake uncovered for 4 to 4 1/2 hours to a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees (mine got to about 185 degrees). Let chicken stand at least 10 minutes before carving.

No comments: