Saturday, December 8, 2007

Almond Chocolate Balls



I discovered this wonderful treat while watching Paula's Home Cooking last year. I immediately thought of my mom when I saw Paula make it, so next time I was in town, we made them together. They are now a new tradition! They are similar to Almond Joy bars, but I like these better because they are creamier. Here is a link to Paula's original recipe and this is how I made them:









1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon pure almond extract
1 (14-ounce) package shredded coconut
1 1/2 cups chopped nuts
1 (12-ounce) package chocolate chips (I use the bark candy coating)
2 (16-ounce) boxes confectioners' sugar
Cream together sugar and butter in a bowl; add milk. Stir in almond extract, coconut, and nuts; mix well. Form candy into 1-inch balls. Place on waxed paper and refrigerate at least 3 hours. Melt chocolate in top of double boiler, stirring well. Remove from heat but allow chocolate to remain over hot water. (If chocolate becomes too thick, return to heat for a minute or so to thin). With a toothpick, dip each ball in chocolate and place on waxed paper until set.

I get 100 almond balls out of this recipe.

No comments: