Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Chili


David was not a big fan of chili, but I really wanted it one night, so he said he would eat it. Most chili I had before was made with a seasoning packet, but I wanted to create a made-from-scratch chili with the perfect amount of spices to create a rich flavor. So I experimented a little bit and when I served the chili that night, David couldn't eat enough! He requests this chili all the time and eats a ton of it at each meal. I was so happy that I got him to love chili. I make it any time of the year, but I love it on days like today when it's cold outside. David likes to fry corn tortilla chips and dip them in the chili, and I must agree that they're a great complement to the chili. I don't measure my ingredients, but here's a general guideline of how I make it:

1 to 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 onion, chopped
Garlic
1 can pinto beans
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 bottle dark beer
A couple dashed of cayenne
Chili powder, cumin, and oregano to taste (I would guess that I use at least 2-3 tablespoons each
of chili powder and cumin and 1 to 2 teaspoons oregano)

Cook ground beef until browned and no pink remains; drain.
Saute onion and garlic until onion is tender.
Combine pinto beans, black beans, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, and beer in a large stockpot. Add ground beef and onion and garlic mixture. Add desired amounts of cayenne, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Cook until thoroughly heated. Reduce heat and simmer as long as desired.

This is another great meal that freezes well! I would say that you could get about 6 servings from this recipe.

Source: Erin's Life in the Kitchen

No comments: